In the sixties Robert Monroe (USA) developed a theory that says that the human brain follows accoustical or optical stimuli which are maintained over a longer period of time, and that it adopts the frequency of those electrical waves.
Scientist, studying shamanistic rituals, have found that drumbeat-induced Theta-frequencies predominate during initiation.
This means, that when a sound with a certain frequency is created, is put into a rhythmical sequence and is repeated over a longer period of time, the frequency of the brain waves changes according to the created frequency. This is also true for light, when its signals of a certain frequency reach the eye.
Modern research on effects of rhythmical light and sound started in the thirties, when scientists discovered, that encephalic waves adopt the rhythm of flashing light stimulation.
From the ancient past we know that these two phenomenons in combination were used to achieve a state of trance. Rhythmical drums, rattling etc, together with jittering light from candles, bonfire etc.
Today this knowledge is revolutionised by microelectronics. In the eighties, the first mental systems were developed. Such systems consist of several programmes which can relax or activate through sound and light with different frequencies.
Results of scientific studies
In recent decades hundreds of studies were made about mental systems. Here are a few of the important results:
- Dr. Norman Thomas, University of Alberta, made tests with 2 different groups. One group relaxed in a common fashion, the other group received Alpha waves for 15 minutes. With both groups measurements were taken for muscle relaxation and finger temperature. The results showed that the alpha-group had a dramatic increase in relaxation which lasted for a very long time after the test. The other group had the impression of being relaxed but the data showed an increased level of muscle tonus and a decrease of the finger temperature which correlates with stress or tension.
- High rate of amelioration with migraine and headache-patients.
- F. Boesma and C. Gagnon, University of Alberta, have found, that the regular use of mental systems leads to a decrease in pain, helps to fall asleep better and helps to handle stress more effectively
- Dr. Abascal and Dr. Brucato of the Mindwork Stress Reduction Center: their studies have shown that mental systems reduce significant stress symptoms like increased heart-rate, high blood pressure and muscle strain
- Scientists discovered effects to the immune system of both healthy and sick people ( also patients with HIV, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and cancer). They found unambiguous signs that mental systems strengthen the immune system, help overcome existing diseases and increase the resistency against infections.
- Faster learning and incorporation of newly learned information (see Alpha- and Theta-waves).
- Prof. Russel, Houston University, reports in his studies an increase of the IQ. This is caused by the physiological growth of the brain and its altered state of the brainwaves as a reaction to the stimulation with mental systems. Standardised tests showed an increase of 12-20 points.
- Synchronizing both hemispheres is a very specific state and it does not mean that both hemispheres produce one dominant wave of one specific frequency. It rather means that the peaks of the produced waves are simultaneous. Synchronized hemispheres increases the power of the brain. Mental systems stimulate the brain so that the synchronization takes place better.
Dr. Fehmi, Princeton Biofeedback Research Institute.
- Improvement of the ability to concentrate and support for those with chronic fatigue.
- Research studies show that mental systems stimulate the brain. They strengthen the brain and the size and health of neurons, they support mental top performance, increase the intelligence and our overall constitution.
- Mental systems support the treatment of people with depression and fears.
- The efficiency of mental training is increased with mental systems.
- Scientists have found that mental systems can strengthen the immune system and help eliminate existing diseases, as well as increase the resistance against infections.
Source: brainLight® GmbH